Announcing the 2016 EyeEm Awards Shortlist
By Lars - 3 min read
See the top 100 images our jury picked from this year’s submissions!
Between May 3rd and June 5th of this year, we asked EyeEm photographers around the world to submit images for our annual photography competition. A huge number of you did: We received over 270,000 images by more than 38,000 photographers from over 150 countries. With a 35% increase in submissions from 49% more photographers than in 2015, the 2016 EyeEm Photography Awards has become the largest photography competition for new talents to get discovered.
Today, we’re revealing the top 20 images from each category, selected by the EyeEm Awards’ world renowned jury members. These photos will be exhibited at the 2016 EyeEm Festival & Awards in Berlin on August 27 where the winners and the 2016 EyeEm Photographer of the Year will be announced.
As in the previous years, the quality of submitted photos blew us away: It is hugely impressive what variety, skill, and ultimately passion is visible in the photos you sent in. We want to thank everyone for participating – and congratulate the 100 photographers that made it onto the shortlist. With such a strong competition, it is an accomplishment to celebrate.
The EyeEm Awards have the following five categories. Click them to browse the respective album with the 20 finalists on EyeEm.
[Click here to see the 20 finalists of The Architect.]
[Click here to see the 20 finalists of The Great Outdoors.]
[Click here to see the 20 finalists of The Photojournalist.]
[Click here to see the 20 finalists of The Portraitist.]
[Click here to see the 20 finalists of The Street Photographer.]
The EyeEm Awards jury of eleven influencers in the photography world includes photo and magazine editors, professional photographers and more. This group of qualified photography professionals carefully selected the finalist images:
• Lars Boering, Managing Director, World Press Photo
• Sarah Leen, Photo Director, National Geographic Magazine
• Dustin Drankoski, Photo Director, Mashable
• Jacqueline Bates, Photography Director, The California Sunday Magazine
• Michael Christopher Brown, Photographer and Filmmaker, Magnum Photos
• Anastasia Taylor-Lind, Photographer and Harvard Fellow
• Porter Yates, 2015 EyeEm Photographer of the Year
• Nana Kofi Acquah, Photographer, Blogger and Poet, Everyday Africa
• Ali Kaveh, Co-founder and Curator, Everyday Iran
• Felix Hoffmann, Chief Curator, C/O Berlin
• Tom Hind, Senior Director of Content Development, Getty Images
On August 27 in Berlin, we’ll announce this year’s winners at #EyeEmFestival16 with a nice gala ceremony, exhibition and party! Plus, we’ll crown a new EyeEm Photographer of the Year.
Come and join us at the festival. Tickets are available here – and you can use the special discount code EYEFESTIVAL16 to get 20% off the regular ticket price.