Album

Scott Monument

Edinburgh Waverley railway station, often simply referred to as Waverley, or as Edinburgh, is the main railway station in the Scottish capital Edinburgh. Covering an area of over 25 acres (10 ha) in the centre of the city, it is the second-largest main line railway station in the United Kingdom in terms of area, the largest being London Waterloo; and is both a terminal station and a through station, in contrast to the majority of central London stations. Ticketing generally regards Waverley and Haymarket as interchangeable subject to operator validity. It is one of 19 stations managed by Network Rail. It is the northern limit of the East Coast Main Line to Network Rail infrastructure definition, but through-services operate to Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen, Perth andInverness. There are many local services operated by ScotRail, including the four routes to Glasgow, the Fife Circle, and services to Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa/North Berwick/Dunbar, and the station is the terminus of the Edinburgh leg of the West Coast Main Line served by Virgin Trains and TransPennine Express. Long distance inter-city trains to England are operated by CrossCountry to destinations such as York, Leeds, Sheffield, Derby, Birmingham New Street, Bristol Temple Meads, Exeter St Davids and Plymouth. Architecture Architecture_collection EyeEm EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEmBestPics Eyeemphotography From My Point Of View Hidden Gems  Landscape Medieval Medieval Architecture Rail Railroad Track Railway Railway Station Railwaystation Scotland Scott Monument Train Train Station Train Tracks Trains Trainstation Waverley
Castle Outdoors Scotland Sea And Loch Travel Destinations Castle Stalker Loch  Island History Tranquility Loch Laich Scotish Summer Scotland 💕 Scotlandlover Scottish Highlands Scotlandsbeauty Scott Monument Scotland In Summertime Scotland Travel Road Trip ♥ Road Trippin' Old Castle Finding New Frontiers
Princes Street is one of the major thoroughfares in central Edinburgh, Scotland, and its main shopping street. It is the southernmost street of Edinburgh's New Town, stretching around 1 mile (1.6 km) from Lothian Road in the west to Leith Street in the east. The street is mostly closed to private cars, with public transport given priority. The street has virtually no buildings on the south side, allowing panoramic views of the Old Town, Edinburgh Castle, and the valley between. Architecture Architecture & Statues Architecture Details Architecture Facade Architecture Photography Architecture_bw Architecture_collection Architecturelovers Architecturephotography Architectureporn EyeEm Best Shots From My Point Of View Gothic Gothic Architecture Hidden Gems  Outdoors Princes Street Princes Street Gardens Scotland Scott Scott Monument Scottish Victorian Victorian Architecture Walter Scott
Princes Street is one of the major thoroughfares in central Edinburgh, Scotland, and its main shopping street. It is the southernmost street of Edinburgh's New Town, stretching around 1 mile (1.6 km) from Lothian Road in the west to Leith Street in the east. The street is mostly closed to private cars, with public transport given priority. The street has virtually no buildings on the south side, allowing panoramic views of the Old Town, Edinburgh Castle, and the valley between. Only the east end of the street is open to all traffic. The bulk of the street is limited to trams, buses and taxis. Architectural Detail Architectural Feature Architecture Architecture_collection Balmoral Balmoral Hotel Balmoralhotel EyeEm EyeEm Best Edits EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEmBestPics From My Point Of View Hidden Gems  Landscape Medieval Medieval Architecture Old Town Princes Street Scotland Scott Monument The Balmoral Tourism Travel Photography Traveling
Princes Street Gardens Architecture Beauty In Nature Building Exterior Built Structure Church Cloud - Sky Day Green Green Color Growth Nature Outdoors Person Place Of Worship Princes Street Gardens Scenics Scott Monument Sky Tourism Tranquil Scene Tranquility Tree
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. The tower is 200 feet 6 inches (61.11 m) high, and has a series of viewing platforms reached by a series of narrow spiral staircases giving panoramic views of central Edinburgh and its surroundings. The highest platform is reached by a total of 287 steps (those who climb the steps can obtain a certificate commemorating their achievement). It is built from Binny sandstone quarried near Ecclesmachan in West Lothian. In terms of its location, it is placed on axis with South St David Street, the main street leading off St Andrew Square to Princes Street, and is a focal point within that vista, its scale being large enough to totally screen the Old Town behind. As seen from the south side, Princes Street Gardens, its location appears more random, but it totally dominates the Eastern Section of the gardens, through a combination of its scale and elevated position relative to the sunken gardens. Following Scott's death in 1832, a competition was held to design a monument to him. An unlikely entrant went under the pseudonym "John Morvo", the name of the medieval architect ofMelrose Abbey. Morvo was in fact George Meikle Kemp, forty-five-year-old joiner, draftsman, and self-taught architect. Kemp had feared his lack of architectural qualifications and reputation would disqualify him, but his design (similar to an unsuccessful one he had earlier submitted for Glasgow Cathedral) was popular with the competition's judges, and in 1838 Kemp was awarded the contract to construct the monument. John Steell was commissioned to design a monumental statue of Scott to rest in the space between the tower's four columns. Steell's statue, made from white Carrara marble, shows Scott seated, resting from writing one of his works with a quill pen and his dog Maida by his side. The monument carries 64 figures (carried out in three phases) of characters from Scott's novels by a variety of Scots sculptors including, Alexander Handyside Ritchie, John Rhind, William Birnie Rhind, William Brodie, William Grant Stevenson, David Watson Stevenson, John Hutchison,George Anderson Lawson, Thomas Stuart Burnett, William Shirreffs, Andrew Currie, George Clark Stanton, Peter Slater, and two female representatives, Amelia Robertson Hill (who also made the statue of David Livingstone immediately east of the monument), who contributed three figures to the monument, and the otherwise unknown Katherine Anne Fraser Tytler. The foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1840. Following permission by an Act of Parliament (the Monument to Sir Walter Scott Act 1841 (4 & 5 Vict.) C A P. XV.), construction began in 1841 and ran for nearly four years. The tower was completed in the autumn of 1844, with Kemp's son placing the finial in August of the year. The total cost was just over £16,154. When the monument was inaugurated on 15 August 1846, George Meikle Kemp himself was absent; Kemp having fallen into the Union Canal while walking home from the site on the foggy evening of 6 March 1844 and drowned. In total (excluding Scott and his dog) there are 68 figurative statues on the monument of which 64 are visible from the ground. Four figures are placed above the final viewing gallery and are only visible by telephoto or (at a very distorted angle) from the viewing gallery itself. In addition, eight kneeling Druid figures support the final viewing gallery. There are 32 unfilled niches at higher level. Sixteen heads of Scottish poets and writers appear on the lower faces, at the top of the lower pilasters. The heads (anti-clockwise from the NW) represent: James Hogg; Robert Burns; Robert Fergusson; Allan Ramsay; George Buchanan; Sir David Lindsay; Robert Tannahill; Lord Byron; Tobias Smollett; James Beattie; James Thomson; John Home; Mary, Queen of Scots; King James I of Scotland; King James V of Scotland; and William Drummond of Hawthornden. In total, 93 persons are depicted, plus two dogs and a pig. In the early 1990s it was proposed that the stonework should be cleaned. There were views for and against cleaning and a scientific/geological investigation, including cleaning trials on samples of stone, was carried out. It was decided not to clean the stone due to the damage it would sustain. A restoration programme was undertaken involving replacing old repairs and damaged areas with Binny stone for which purpose the original quarry was re-opened. The fresh stonework contrasts with the smoke-darkened original. The overall cost of the restoration was £2.36 million and was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is now administered by the Culture and Sport division of the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is featured prominently in the movie Cloud Atlas, as a location which the character Robert Frobisher frequents. Architecture Architecture & Statues Architecture Photography Architecture_bw Architecturelovers EyeEm Best Shots From My Point Of View Gothic Gothic Architecture Hidden Gems  Historical Monuments Landscape Medieval Princes Street Princes Street Gardens Scotland Scott Scott Monument Scottish Statue Statues Tourism Victorian Victorian Architecture Walter Scott
Architecture Architecture_collection Architecturelovers EyeEm EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEmBestPics From My Point Of View Hidden Gems  Jenners Landscape Medieval Medieval Architecture MedievalTown Modern Architecture Outdoor Photography Outdoors Saint Andrew Square Scotland Scott Monument St Davis Str Street Street Photography Streetphoto_bw Streetphotography
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. The tower is 200 feet 6 inches (61.11 m) high, and has a series of viewing platforms reached by a series of narrow spiral staircases giving panoramic views of central Edinburgh and its surroundings. The highest platform is reached by a total of 287 steps (those who climb the steps can obtain a certificate commemorating their achievement). It is built from Binny sandstone quarried near Ecclesmachan in West Lothian. In terms of its location, it is placed on axis with South St David Street, the main street leading off St Andrew Square to Princes Street, and is a focal point within that vista, its scale being large enough to totally screen the Old Town behind. As seen from the south side, Princes Street Gardens, its location appears more random, but it totally dominates the Eastern Section of the gardens, through a combination of its scale and elevated position relative to the sunken gardens. Following Scott's death in 1832, a competition was held to design a monument to him. An unlikely entrant went under the pseudonym "John Morvo", the name of the medieval architect ofMelrose Abbey. Morvo was in fact George Meikle Kemp, forty-five-year-old joiner, draftsman, and self-taught architect. Kemp had feared his lack of architectural qualifications and reputation would disqualify him, but his design (similar to an unsuccessful one he had earlier submitted for Glasgow Cathedral) was popular with the competition's judges, and in 1838 Kemp was awarded the contract to construct the monument. John Steell was commissioned to design a monumental statue of Scott to rest in the space between the tower's four columns. Steell's statue, made from white Carrara marble, shows Scott seated, resting from writing one of his works with a quill pen and his dog Maida by his side. The monument carries 64 figures (carried out in three phases) of characters from Scott's novels by a variety of Scots sculptors including, Alexander Handyside Ritchie, John Rhind, William Birnie Rhind, William Brodie, William Grant Stevenson, David Watson Stevenson, John Hutchison,George Anderson Lawson, Thomas Stuart Burnett, William Shirreffs, Andrew Currie, George Clark Stanton, Peter Slater, and two female representatives, Amelia Robertson Hill (who also made the statue of David Livingstone immediately east of the monument), who contributed three figures to the monument, and the otherwise unknown Katherine Anne Fraser Tytler. The foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1840. Following permission by an Act of Parliament (the Monument to Sir Walter Scott Act 1841 (4 & 5 Vict.) C A P. XV.), construction began in 1841 and ran for nearly four years. The tower was completed in the autumn of 1844, with Kemp's son placing the finial in August of the year. The total cost was just over £16,154. When the monument was inaugurated on 15 August 1846, George Meikle Kemp himself was absent; Kemp having fallen into the Union Canal while walking home from the site on the foggy evening of 6 March 1844 and drowned. In total (excluding Scott and his dog) there are 68 figurative statues on the monument of which 64 are visible from the ground. Four figures are placed above the final viewing gallery and are only visible by telephoto or (at a very distorted angle) from the viewing gallery itself. In addition, eight kneeling Druid figures support the final viewing gallery. There are 32 unfilled niches at higher level. Sixteen heads of Scottish poets and writers appear on the lower faces, at the top of the lower pilasters. The heads (anti-clockwise from the NW) represent: James Hogg; Robert Burns; Robert Fergusson; Allan Ramsay; George Buchanan; Sir David Lindsay; Robert Tannahill; Lord Byron; Tobias Smollett; James Beattie; James Thomson; John Home; Mary, Queen of Scots; King James I of Scotland; King James V of Scotland; and William Drummond of Hawthornden. In total, 93 persons are depicted, plus two dogs and a pig. In the early 1990s it was proposed that the stonework should be cleaned. There were views for and against cleaning and a scientific/geological investigation, including cleaning trials on samples of stone, was carried out. It was decided not to clean the stone due to the damage it would sustain. A restoration programme was undertaken involving replacing old repairs and damaged areas with Binny stone for which purpose the original quarry was re-opened. The fresh stonework contrasts with the smoke-darkened original. The overall cost of the restoration was £2.36 million and was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is now administered by the Culture and Sport division of the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is featured prominently in the movie Cloud Atlas, as a location which the character Robert Frobisher frequents. Architecture Architecture & Statues Architecture Facade Architecture Photography Architecture_bw Architecturelovers EyeEm Best Shots From My Point Of View Gothic Gothic Architecture Hidden Gems  Historical Monuments Landscape Medieval Monument Monuments Princes Street Princes Street Gardens Scotland Scott Scott Monument Scottish Victorian Victorian Architecture Walter Scott
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. The tower is 200 feet 6 inches (61.11 m) high, and has a series of viewing platforms reached by a series of narrow spiral staircases giving panoramic views of central Edinburgh and its surroundings. The highest platform is reached by a total of 287 steps (those who climb the steps can obtain a certificate commemorating their achievement). It is built from Binny sandstone quarried near Ecclesmachan in West Lothian. In terms of its location, it is placed on axis with South St David Street, the main street leading off St Andrew Square to Princes Street, and is a focal point within that vista, its scale being large enough to totally screen the Old Town behind. As seen from the south side, Princes Street Gardens, its location appears more random, but it totally dominates the Eastern Section of the gardens, through a combination of its scale and elevated position relative to the sunken gardens. Following Scott's death in 1832, a competition was held to design a monument to him. An unlikely entrant went under the pseudonym "John Morvo", the name of the medieval architect ofMelrose Abbey. Morvo was in fact George Meikle Kemp, forty-five-year-old joiner, draftsman, and self-taught architect. Kemp had feared his lack of architectural qualifications and reputation would disqualify him, but his design (similar to an unsuccessful one he had earlier submitted for Glasgow Cathedral) was popular with the competition's judges, and in 1838 Kemp was awarded the contract to construct the monument. John Steell was commissioned to design a monumental statue of Scott to rest in the space between the tower's four columns. Steell's statue, made from white Carrara marble, shows Scott seated, resting from writing one of his works with a quill pen and his dog Maida by his side. The monument carries 64 figures (carried out in three phases) of characters from Scott's novels by a variety of Scots sculptors including, Alexander Handyside Ritchie, John Rhind, William Birnie Rhind, William Brodie, William Grant Stevenson, David Watson Stevenson, John Hutchison,George Anderson Lawson, Thomas Stuart Burnett, William Shirreffs, Andrew Currie, George Clark Stanton, Peter Slater, and two female representatives, Amelia Robertson Hill (who also made the statue of David Livingstone immediately east of the monument), who contributed three figures to the monument, and the otherwise unknown Katherine Anne Fraser Tytler. The foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1840. Following permission by an Act of Parliament (the Monument to Sir Walter Scott Act 1841 (4 & 5 Vict.) C A P. XV.), construction began in 1841 and ran for nearly four years. The tower was completed in the autumn of 1844, with Kemp's son placing the finial in August of the year. The total cost was just over £16,154. When the monument was inaugurated on 15 August 1846, George Meikle Kemp himself was absent; Kemp having fallen into the Union Canal while walking home from the site on the foggy evening of 6 March 1844 and drowned. In total (excluding Scott and his dog) there are 68 figurative statues on the monument of which 64 are visible from the ground. Four figures are placed above the final viewing gallery and are only visible by telephoto or (at a very distorted angle) from the viewing gallery itself. In addition, eight kneeling Druid figures support the final viewing gallery. There are 32 unfilled niches at higher level. Sixteen heads of Scottish poets and writers appear on the lower faces, at the top of the lower pilasters. The heads (anti-clockwise from the NW) represent: James Hogg; Robert Burns; Robert Fergusson; Allan Ramsay; George Buchanan; Sir David Lindsay; Robert Tannahill; Lord Byron; Tobias Smollett; James Beattie; James Thomson; John Home; Mary, Queen of Scots; King James I of Scotland; King James V of Scotland; and William Drummond of Hawthornden. In total, 93 persons are depicted, plus two dogs and a pig. In the early 1990s it was proposed that the stonework should be cleaned. There were views for and against cleaning and a scientific/geological investigation, including cleaning trials on samples of stone, was carried out. It was decided not to clean the stone due to the damage it would sustain. A restoration programme was undertaken involving replacing old repairs and damaged areas with Binny stone for which purpose the original quarry was re-opened. The fresh stonework contrasts with the smoke-darkened original. The overall cost of the restoration was £2.36 million and was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is now administered by the Culture and Sport division of the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is featured prominently in the movie Cloud Atlas, as a location which the character Robert Frobisher frequents. Architecture Architecture & Statues Architecture Facade Architecture Photography Architecture_bw Architecturelovers EyeEm Best Shots From My Point Of View Gothic Gothic Architecture Historical Monuments Landscape Landscapes Medieval Princes Street Princes Street Gardens Scotland Scott Scott Monument Scottish Statue Statues Victorian Victorian Architecture Walter Scott
Architecture Clouds Edinburgh Famous Place Low Angle View Scott Monument Sir William Scott Sky Tourism The Purist (no Edit, No Filter)
Architectural Detail Architecture Architecture_bw Architecture_collection Architecturelovers Architectureporn EyeEm EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEmBestPics Eyeemphotography From My Point Of View Getting Inspired Hidden Gems  Historic Landscape Medieval Medieval Architecture Scotland Scott Monument Tourism Travel Travel Destinations Travel Photography Traveling
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world.[1] It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh.The tower is 200 feet 6 inches (61.11 m) high, and has a series of viewing platforms reached by a series of narrow spiral staircases giving panoramic views of central Edinburgh and its surroundings. The highest platform is reached by a total of 287 steps. It is built from Binny sandstone quarried near Ecclesmachan in West Lothian. Edinburgh Scott Monument Architecture Building Exterior Built Structure City Cityscape Cloud - Sky Day No People Outdoors Road Sky Street Transportation
Jenners Department Store, now known simply as Jenners, is a department store located in Edinburgh, Scotland, and was the oldest independent department store in Scotland until its acquisition by House of Fraser in 2005. Department Store EyeEm EyeEm Best Edits EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEm Masterclass EyeEmBestPics Eyeemphotography From My Point Of View Getting Inspired Hidden Gems  Jenners Jenners Department Jenners Edinburgh Landscape Scotland Scott Monument Shop Shopenef  Shopping Shopping Center Shopping Mall Shopping Time Shopping ♡ Shops
The Scottish National Gallery is the national art gallery of Scotland. It is located on The Mound in central Edinburgh, in a neoclassical building designed by William Henry Playfair, and first opened to the public in 1859. The gallery houses the Scottish national collection of fine art, including Scottish and international art from the beginning of the Renaissance up to the start of the 20th century. The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. Architecture Architecture_collection Architecturelovers Exterior Eye4photography  EyeEm EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEmBestPics From My Point Of View Getting Inspired Hidden Gems  Landscape National Gallery  Old Town Oldtown Outdoors Scotland Scott Monument Scottish National Gallery The Purist (no Edit, No Filter) Travel Travel Destinations Travel Photography Uk
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. The tower is 200 feet 6 inches (61.11 m) high, and has a series of viewing platforms reached by a series of narrow spiral staircases giving panoramic views of central Edinburgh and its surroundings. The highest platform is reached by a total of 287 steps (those who climb the steps can obtain a certificate commemorating their achievement). It is built from Binny sandstone quarried near Ecclesmachan in West Lothian. In terms of its location, it is placed on axis with South St David Street, the main street leading off St Andrew Square to Princes Street, and is a focal point within that vista, its scale being large enough to totally screen the Old Town behind. As seen from the south side, Princes Street Gardens, its location appears more random, but it totally dominates the Eastern Section of the gardens, through a combination of its scale and elevated position relative to the sunken gardens. Following Scott's death in 1832, a competition was held to design a monument to him. An unlikely entrant went under the pseudonym "John Morvo", the name of the medieval architect ofMelrose Abbey. Morvo was in fact George Meikle Kemp, forty-five-year-old joiner, draftsman, and self-taught architect. Kemp had feared his lack of architectural qualifications and reputation would disqualify him, but his design (similar to an unsuccessful one he had earlier submitted for Glasgow Cathedral) was popular with the competition's judges, and in 1838 Kemp was awarded the contract to construct the monument. John Steell was commissioned to design a monumental statue of Scott to rest in the space between the tower's four columns. Steell's statue, made from white Carrara marble, shows Scott seated, resting from writing one of his works with a quill pen and his dog Maida by his side. The monument carries 64 figures (carried out in three phases) of characters from Scott's novels by a variety of Scots sculptors including, Alexander Handyside Ritchie, John Rhind, William Birnie Rhind, William Brodie, William Grant Stevenson, David Watson Stevenson, John Hutchison,George Anderson Lawson, Thomas Stuart Burnett, William Shirreffs, Andrew Currie, George Clark Stanton, Peter Slater, and two female representatives, Amelia Robertson Hill (who also made the statue of David Livingstone immediately east of the monument), who contributed three figures to the monument, and the otherwise unknown Katherine Anne Fraser Tytler. The foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1840. Following permission by an Act of Parliament (the Monument to Sir Walter Scott Act 1841 (4 & 5 Vict.) C A P. XV.), construction began in 1841 and ran for nearly four years. The tower was completed in the autumn of 1844, with Kemp's son placing the finial in August of the year. The total cost was just over £16,154. When the monument was inaugurated on 15 August 1846, George Meikle Kemp himself was absent; Kemp having fallen into the Union Canal while walking home from the site on the foggy evening of 6 March 1844 and drowned. In total (excluding Scott and his dog) there are 68 figurative statues on the monument of which 64 are visible from the ground. Four figures are placed above the final viewing gallery and are only visible by telephoto or (at a very distorted angle) from the viewing gallery itself. In addition, eight kneeling Druid figures support the final viewing gallery. There are 32 unfilled niches at higher level. Sixteen heads of Scottish poets and writers appear on the lower faces, at the top of the lower pilasters. The heads (anti-clockwise from the NW) represent: James Hogg; Robert Burns; Robert Fergusson; Allan Ramsay; George Buchanan; Sir David Lindsay; Robert Tannahill; Lord Byron; Tobias Smollett; James Beattie; James Thomson; John Home; Mary, Queen of Scots; King James I of Scotland; King James V of Scotland; and William Drummond of Hawthornden. In total, 93 persons are depicted, plus two dogs and a pig. In the early 1990s it was proposed that the stonework should be cleaned. There were views for and against cleaning and a scientific/geological investigation, including cleaning trials on samples of stone, was carried out. It was decided not to clean the stone due to the damage it would sustain. A restoration programme was undertaken involving replacing old repairs and damaged areas with Binny stone for which purpose the original quarry was re-opened. The fresh stonework contrasts with the smoke-darkened original. The overall cost of the restoration was £2.36 million and was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is now administered by the Culture and Sport division of the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is featured prominently in the movie Cloud Atlas, as a location which the character Robert Frobisher frequents. Architecture Architecture & Statues Architecture Details Architecture Facade Architecture Photography Architecture_bw Architecture_collection Architecturelovers Architectureporn EyeEm Best Shots From My Point Of View Gothic Gothic Architecture Hidden Gems  Historical Monuments Landscape Princes Street Princes Street Gardens Scotland Scott Scott Monument Scottish Victorian Victorian Architecture Walter Scott
Edinburgh Scott Monument Bare Tree Branch Day Low Angle View Nature No People Outdoors Sky Tree Tree Trunk
Princes Street is one of the major thoroughfares in central Edinburgh, Scotland, and its main shopping street. It is the southernmost street of Edinburgh's New Town, stretching around 1 mile (1.6 km) from Lothian Road in the west to Leith Street in the east. The street is mostly closed to private cars, with public transport given priority. The street has virtually no buildings on the south side, allowing panoramic views of the Old Town, Edinburgh Castle, and the valley between. Only the east end of the street is open to all traffic. The bulk of the street is limited to trams, buses and taxis. EyeEm EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEmBestPics Eyeemphotography From My Point Of View Getting Inspired Hidden Gems  Portrait Princes Street Princes Street Gardens Scotland Scott Monument Tourism Travel Travel Destinations Travel Photography Traveler Travelgram Traveling Traveller Travelling Travelling Photography Travelphotography Travels
Princes Street is one of the major thoroughfares in central Edinburgh, Scotland, and its main shopping street. It is the southernmost street of Edinburgh's New Town, stretching around 1 mile (1.6 km) from Lothian Road in the west to Leith Street in the east. The street is mostly closed to private cars, with public transport given priority. The street has virtually no buildings on the south side, allowing panoramic views of the Old Town, Edinburgh Castle, and the valley between. Only the east end of the street is open to all traffic. The bulk of the street is limited to trams, buses and taxis. Cloudy Edinburgh Castle EdinburghCastle EyeEm EyeEm Best Edits EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEm Masterclass EyeEmBestPics Eyeemphotography From My Point Of View Getting Inspired Hidden Gems  Landscape Outdoor Photography Outdoor Pictures Outdoors Princes Street Scotland Scott Monument Tourism Travel Travel Destinations Travel Photography Traveling
Edinburgh Scott Monument Architecture History Built Structure City Day Blackandwhite
A view of the largest monument to a writer, the Scott Monument. It was dedicated to Sir Walter Scott and includes a statue of him and his favorite dog in the middle. Edinburgh Gothic Architecture Scotland Scott Monument Sunny Writer Writing Architecture Built Structure Cloud - Sky Day History Monument No People Outdoors Sky Travel Destinations
Passing by Edinburgh Fuji X100s FUJIFILM X100S Garden Scott Monument Stranger Strangers Strangers In Transit Streetphotography X100S
Eilean Donan Castle Eilean Donan Scotland Scottish Highlands Scottish Scenery Scott Monument History Castle Medieval Old Ruin Architecture Ancient Fort Building Exterior Built Structure Outdoors Travel Destinations Day Tree No People Ancient Civilization Sky
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world.[1] It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. Edinburgh Scott Monument Arch Architectural Column Architecture Building Exterior Built Structure Cloud - Sky Day History Human Representation Low Angle View No People Outdoors Religion Sculpture Sky Spirituality Statue Tourism Travel Travel Destinations
From the Scott tower Scott Monument Architecture Bridge - Man Made Structure Building Exterior Built Structure City Cityscape Connection Day No People Outdoors Place Of Worship Sky Transportation Travel Destinations
Edinburgh Scotland Scott Monument Architecture History Low Angle View Monument No People Outdoors Silhouette Sunset Travel Destinations Tree Uk
B&w Bigwheel Blackandwhite Christmastime Clear Sky Edinburgh Large Low Angle View Outdoors Scott Monument Streetphotography Tall
Tower 'Scott' and a Park of Edinburgh, Scotland - Filter 'Normal' Scott Monument Park Edinburgh Landscape
Architecture Built Structure Building Exterior Cloud - Sky Day Sky History Outdoors Travel Destinations Place Of Worship No People City Eye Em Scotland Eyeem Scotland  Scott Monument Edinburgh Historic Scotland Historical Building Historical Monuments Architecture Travel The Architect - 2017 EyeEm Awards
Architecture Building Exterior Day History No People Outdoors Scott Monument Travel Destinations
Seated writer Sir Walter Scott statue at the Scott Monument on Princess Street, Edinburgh. Busy City Center Scott Monument Sir Walter Scott Monument Statue Arch Architecture Full Length Land Vehicle Medium Group Of People Mode Of Transport Monument Outdoors People Public Transportation Real People Sir Walter Scott Transportation Women
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. The tower is 200 feet 6 inches (61.11 m) high, and has a series of viewing platforms reached by a series of narrow spiral staircases giving panoramic views of central Edinburgh and its surroundings. The highest platform is reached by a total of 287 steps (those who climb the steps can obtain a certificate commemorating their achievement). It is built from Binny sandstone quarried near Ecclesmachan in West Lothian. In terms of its location, it is placed on axis with South St David Street, the main street leading off St Andrew Square to Princes Street, and is a focal point within that vista, its scale being large enough to totally screen the Old Town behind. As seen from the south side, Princes Street Gardens, its location appears more random, but it totally dominates the Eastern Section of the gardens, through a combination of its scale and elevated position relative to the sunken gardens. Following Scott's death in 1832, a competition was held to design a monument to him. An unlikely entrant went under the pseudonym "John Morvo", the name of the medieval architect ofMelrose Abbey. Morvo was in fact George Meikle Kemp, forty-five-year-old joiner, draftsman, and self-taught architect. Kemp had feared his lack of architectural qualifications and reputation would disqualify him, but his design (similar to an unsuccessful one he had earlier submitted for Glasgow Cathedral) was popular with the competition's judges, and in 1838 Kemp was awarded the contract to construct the monument. John Steell was commissioned to design a monumental statue of Scott to rest in the space between the tower's four columns. Steell's statue, made from white Carrara marble, shows Scott seated, resting from writing one of his works with a quill pen and his dog Maida by his side. The monument carries 64 figures (carried out in three phases) of characters from Scott's novels by a variety of Scots sculptors including, Alexander Handyside Ritchie, John Rhind, William Birnie Rhind, William Brodie, William Grant Stevenson, David Watson Stevenson, John Hutchison,George Anderson Lawson, Thomas Stuart Burnett, William Shirreffs, Andrew Currie, George Clark Stanton, Peter Slater, and two female representatives, Amelia Robertson Hill (who also made the statue of David Livingstone immediately east of the monument), who contributed three figures to the monument, and the otherwise unknown Katherine Anne Fraser Tytler. The foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1840. Following permission by an Act of Parliament (the Monument to Sir Walter Scott Act 1841 (4 & 5 Vict.) C A P. XV.), construction began in 1841 and ran for nearly four years. The tower was completed in the autumn of 1844, with Kemp's son placing the finial in August of the year. The total cost was just over £16,154. When the monument was inaugurated on 15 August 1846, George Meikle Kemp himself was absent; Kemp having fallen into the Union Canal while walking home from the site on the foggy evening of 6 March 1844 and drowned. In total (excluding Scott and his dog) there are 68 figurative statues on the monument of which 64 are visible from the ground. Four figures are placed above the final viewing gallery and are only visible by telephoto or (at a very distorted angle) from the viewing gallery itself. In addition, eight kneeling Druid figures support the final viewing gallery. There are 32 unfilled niches at higher level. Sixteen heads of Scottish poets and writers appear on the lower faces, at the top of the lower pilasters. The heads (anti-clockwise from the NW) represent: James Hogg; Robert Burns; Robert Fergusson; Allan Ramsay; George Buchanan; Sir David Lindsay; Robert Tannahill; Lord Byron; Tobias Smollett; James Beattie; James Thomson; John Home; Mary, Queen of Scots; King James I of Scotland; King James V of Scotland; and William Drummond of Hawthornden. In total, 93 persons are depicted, plus two dogs and a pig. In the early 1990s it was proposed that the stonework should be cleaned. There were views for and against cleaning and a scientific/geological investigation, including cleaning trials on samples of stone, was carried out. It was decided not to clean the stone due to the damage it would sustain. A restoration programme was undertaken involving replacing old repairs and damaged areas with Binny stone for which purpose the original quarry was re-opened. The fresh stonework contrasts with the smoke-darkened original. The overall cost of the restoration was £2.36 million and was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is now administered by the Culture and Sport division of the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is featured prominently in the movie Cloud Atlas, as a location which the character Robert Frobisher frequents. Architecture Architecture & Statues Architecture Details Architecture Facade Architecture Photography Architecture_bw Architecture_collection Architectureporn EyeEm Best Shots From My Point Of View Gothic Gothic Architecture Hidden Gems  Historical Marker Historical Monuments Portrait Princes Street Princes Street Gardens Scotland Scott Scott Monument Scottish Victorian Victorian Architecture Walter Scott
Statue Human Representation Sculpture Art Architecture Building Exterior History Outdoors Edinburgh Princes Street Gardens Scott Monument Sir Walter Scott Walter Scott Writer Literature Literary City Of Literature
No People Sky Night Edinburgh Scott Monument Nightphotography Blackandwhite Blackandwhite Photography
Scott Monument View Architecture Built Structure Day Height High Angle View High Section No People Outdoors Street Streetphotography
A silhouetted view of Edinburgh Castle and the Scott Monument from Waverley Station, Edinburgh Silhouette Edinburgh Castle Scott Monument Scotland Edinburgh Sunset Sunset_collection Winter Calm Edinburgh Waverley Outdoors Architecture Sky Quiet Places Open Space
Bnw_friday_eyeemchallenge Edingburgh Scott Monument Statue Sculpture Low Angle View History Arch Human Representation Monument Architecture Travel Destinations Travel Photography Blackandwhite Photography Black & White Blackandwhitephotography Blackandwhite Black And White Rock - Object Cityscape Architectural Column Art And Craft Light And Shadow Ancient Civilization Traveling The World Outdoors Black And White Friday
Scott Monument City Life City Street Cityscapes Monument Scotland Scott Monument
Edinburgh Scott Monument Princes Street Christmas Market First Eyeem Photo
City Rainy Day Rainy Scott Monument View Clouds Grey Clouds
View Scott Monument City Sunset Clouds The City Light
Princes street gardens Festival FUJIFILM X100S FujiX100S Garden Outdoors Park Scott Monument VSCO Vscofilm X100S
Sun setting over Edinburgh cityscapeTrees Sky No People Cloud - Sky Sunlight Sunset Outdoors Built Structure Architecture Grass Nature Tree Day Scotland Edinburgh Summer Daytime City City Life Cityscape Scott Monument Building Silhouette
Scott Low Angle View Architecture Sculpture Arch History Close-up Scotland Scott Monument Edinburgh Statue Built Structure
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. Architecture Architecture_collection Exterior Eye4photography  EyeEm EyeEm Best Shots EyeEm Gallery EyeEmBestPics From My Point Of View Getting Inspired Grass Hidden Gems  Landscape Old Town Oldtown Outdoors Princess Gardens Scotland Scott Monument The Purist (no Edit, No Filter) Travel Travel Destinations Travel Photography Uk
The Scott Monument is a Victorian Gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It is the largest monument to a writer in the world. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station, which is named after Scott's Waverley novels. The tower is 200 feet 6 inches (61.11 m) high, and has a series of viewing platforms reached by a series of narrow spiral staircases giving panoramic views of central Edinburgh and its surroundings. The highest platform is reached by a total of 287 steps (those who climb the steps can obtain a certificate commemorating their achievement). It is built from Binny sandstone quarried near Ecclesmachan in West Lothian. In terms of its location, it is placed on axis with South St David Street, the main street leading off St Andrew Square to Princes Street, and is a focal point within that vista, its scale being large enough to totally screen the Old Town behind. As seen from the south side, Princes Street Gardens, its location appears more random, but it totally dominates the Eastern Section of the gardens, through a combination of its scale and elevated position relative to the sunken gardens. Following Scott's death in 1832, a competition was held to design a monument to him. An unlikely entrant went under the pseudonym "John Morvo", the name of the medieval architect ofMelrose Abbey. Morvo was in fact George Meikle Kemp, forty-five-year-old joiner, draftsman, and self-taught architect. Kemp had feared his lack of architectural qualifications and reputation would disqualify him, but his design (similar to an unsuccessful one he had earlier submitted for Glasgow Cathedral) was popular with the competition's judges, and in 1838 Kemp was awarded the contract to construct the monument. John Steell was commissioned to design a monumental statue of Scott to rest in the space between the tower's four columns. Steell's statue, made from white Carrara marble, shows Scott seated, resting from writing one of his works with a quill pen and his dog Maida by his side. The monument carries 64 figures (carried out in three phases) of characters from Scott's novels by a variety of Scots sculptors including, Alexander Handyside Ritchie, John Rhind, William Birnie Rhind, William Brodie, William Grant Stevenson, David Watson Stevenson, John Hutchison,George Anderson Lawson, Thomas Stuart Burnett, William Shirreffs, Andrew Currie, George Clark Stanton, Peter Slater, and two female representatives, Amelia Robertson Hill (who also made the statue of David Livingstone immediately east of the monument), who contributed three figures to the monument, and the otherwise unknown Katherine Anne Fraser Tytler. The foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1840. Following permission by an Act of Parliament (the Monument to Sir Walter Scott Act 1841 (4 & 5 Vict.) C A P. XV.), construction began in 1841 and ran for nearly four years. The tower was completed in the autumn of 1844, with Kemp's son placing the finial in August of the year. The total cost was just over £16,154. When the monument was inaugurated on 15 August 1846, George Meikle Kemp himself was absent; Kemp having fallen into the Union Canal while walking home from the site on the foggy evening of 6 March 1844 and drowned. In total (excluding Scott and his dog) there are 68 figurative statues on the monument of which 64 are visible from the ground. Four figures are placed above the final viewing gallery and are only visible by telephoto or (at a very distorted angle) from the viewing gallery itself. In addition, eight kneeling Druid figures support the final viewing gallery. There are 32 unfilled niches at higher level. Sixteen heads of Scottish poets and writers appear on the lower faces, at the top of the lower pilasters. The heads (anti-clockwise from the NW) represent: James Hogg; Robert Burns; Robert Fergusson; Allan Ramsay; George Buchanan; Sir David Lindsay; Robert Tannahill; Lord Byron; Tobias Smollett; James Beattie; James Thomson; John Home; Mary, Queen of Scots; King James I of Scotland; King James V of Scotland; and William Drummond of Hawthornden. In total, 93 persons are depicted, plus two dogs and a pig. In the early 1990s it was proposed that the stonework should be cleaned. There were views for and against cleaning and a scientific/geological investigation, including cleaning trials on samples of stone, was carried out. It was decided not to clean the stone due to the damage it would sustain. A restoration programme was undertaken involving replacing old repairs and damaged areas with Binny stone for which purpose the original quarry was re-opened. The fresh stonework contrasts with the smoke-darkened original. The overall cost of the restoration was £2.36 million and was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is now administered by the Culture and Sport division of the City of Edinburgh Council. The monument is featured prominently in the movie Cloud Atlas, as a location which the character Robert Frobisher frequents. Architecture Architecture & Statues Architecture Facade Architecture Photography Architecture_bw Architecture_collection Architecturelovers EyeEm Best Shots From My Point Of View Gothic Gothic Architecture Hidden Gems  Historical Monuments Medieval Portrait Princes Street Princes Street Gardens Scotland Scott Scott Monument Scottish Statue Victorian Victorian Architecture Walter Scott
Showcase: December Scott Monument Edinburgh Scotland Sunset Skies Eyeem Scotland
Scott Monument Edinburgh, Scotland Neighborhood Map Shadow Sky Architecture The Architect - 2017 EyeEm Awards
Scott Monument
Statue Low Angle View Arch Sculpture History Travel Destinations Architecture Day Built Structure Outdoors Clear Sky Sky No People Scott Monument Sir Walter Scott Monument Edinburgh Scotland Monument Memorial
The Scott Monument in Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh Scott Monument Edinburgh Walter Scott Literature Landmark History Clear Blue Sky